Health Benefits of Coloring Mandalas
The physical act of coloring a mandala may affect you more than you may think. According to Marygrace Berberian, a certified art therapist and the Clinical Assistant Professor at NYU, coloring reduces anxiety, creates a sense of mindfulness and improves focus. Many believe that using mandalas to color adds another dimension to the act of coloring. Here’s why:
- Improves Focus: Coloring mandalas allows your brain to switch off the constant flow of thoughts or chatter in the head as you focus on the act of coloring. When the mandala has specific meaning for you, it may help you focus on and enhance those concepts in your life.
- Reduces Anxiety: Free-floating anxiety fades away while you are engaged in coloring much like it does when you meditate.
- Stress Relief: The act of coloring relaxes both your body and mind allowing them to release the stress of the day. This frees the mind to engage in positive reflection.
- Promotes Mindfulness: Engages your brain in mindfulness as it focuses on the activity at hand.
- Encourages Creative Expression: Coloring premade mandalas allows creative expression within a safe framework. This may be of benefit to those who enjoy creating art, but do not have the skills or confidence to create original works of art.
Where Do You Find Mandalas?
Mandalas are a popular topic and can be found in a coloring book, online, in new age shops or in art stores. These designs take on many forms and can be detailed designs filled with symbolic representations of the universe or of a specific concept, such as freedom, peace or eternity, or can be visually-appealing, repeating images in a circular motif. You may find them in both children’s and adult’s coloring books.